I know that it is popular this time of year to remember those that are less fortunate that ourselves.
This is a good and right thing, and I, too, find myself stuffing dollars in red buckets and picking a paper angel off of the tree at the mall to provide some necessities to a child.
However.
I think that, and I will pause first. I am going to say something radical and controversial, so breathe deeply.
whew.
We should put at least some of our focus this year on ENJOYING THE BLESSINGS THAT GOD HAS PROVIDED FOR OURSELVES!
In Ecclesiastes, arguably the most depressing book in the Bible (Lamentations a close second), Solomon, arguably the wisest man in the world, (my husband a close second) wrote about joy.
There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God, for apart from Him who can eat or who can have enjoyment? Eccl. 2:24-25
I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil - this is God's gift to man. Eccl. 3:12-13
Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil - this is the gift of God. For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart. Eccl. 5:18-20
And I commend joy, for man has no good thing under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun. Eccl. 8:15
Go, eat your bread in joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do. Let your garments be always white. Let not oil be lacking on your head. Enjoy life with the [spouse] whom you love, all the days of your vain life that He has given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun. Eccl. 9:7-9
There is a tendency to get down in the mouth about how much we have. We can even pass this on to our children, making them ashamed of their blessings. Isn't this the season for tidings of comfort and joy? Let us not feel guilty for our blessings from God. Be thankful and joyful! Rejoice with your family, friends, church, neighbors. Enjoy the sounds, smells and lights. Jesus is our greatest Joy, and I am sure that it blesses Him to see His children eating, drinking, celebrating and giving thanks for all that comes from His hands.
Joy to the World! And joy to all of us!
God bless us, every one!
No comments:
Post a Comment