Friday, June 1, 2012

(to vegan or not to vegan)

I think I'm going to write a book called, "I Would Be A Vegan If It Weren't For Chick-fil-A."

Or I might have to call it something else because of some trademark thing, like, "I Would Be A Vegan If It Weren't For That Chicken Place That Is Not Open On Sundays."

Everyone would understand.

Really, I would. I like eating vegan. It feels good, literally, to eat so healthily, so many fruits and veggies and whole grains. I love cooking that way, it takes no time at all, and no heavy meat to worry about.

Except.

Except that Chick-fil-A is really good. The sweet tea is divine (yes, I could probably still be vegan with that, I know) but it's the nuggets and waffle fries that get me every time. I get cravings, I daydream, I whip up excuses to get gas out of my way to drive-through.

But I promise, the rest of the time, I am whipping up barley casseroles and black bean burgers to beat the band. And I enjoy those meals very much. To be honest, I think too much.

Virtuous eating.

[Which, by the way is very different than "virtual" eating when you are imagining that you are eating something and you really are not. Tried that too. Not satisfying.]

Yes, I feel very virtuous eating vegan, very clean, very above-the-fray. Please understand, I am NOT making fun of vegans. I am saying I have so much respect for those of you who have such wonderful discipline.

Chick-fil-A always gets in the way!

Really, I have no other issues with any other restaurant, and I don't eat fast food. (I realize that many of you consider CFA fast food, but you are wrong. It is food fast. That's different.)

And if I were super-honest, I would say that I actually become a little prideful, thus the "above-the-fray" feeling when the truth is that it is a choice and not everybody has to make it to be a good person, a godly person, who likes animals.

So it may be a good thing that God keeps me humble with my nugget cravings. It is probably also a blessing to my children that they know about one meal per week will have waffle fries. (They do not enjoy vegan so much.)

So, my confession. Nothing should make me feel like I'm better than anyone else. Not even tofu.

I Corinthians 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

1 comment:

  1. This totally cracks me up. I'm with you on this. (Moriah works at CFA -- and I will say this, Zaxby's chicken fingers are far better than CFA! Just sayin'....and I'm super biased about CFA.) (Rob used to be the General Manager of one.)

    I, too, am making a conscious effort to go vegan. Even got my B12 shot today as my levels are super low and I am generally not eating any animal protein.

    This post was great...

    ReplyDelete