Monday, July 2, 2012

(knitted)

Ahh, vacation. So wonderful, so needed.

Our family disappeared for two glorious weeks to the Smoky Mountains. We did the vacation thing, eating out, hiking, exploring, eating more, napping. Lots of togetherness.

There was one thing I had not planned for our vacation.

Learning a new skill.

My husband and daughter decided to hit the town after we arrived in Black Mountain, North Carolina. They came back with a suprise: a purple project bag with a sheep border, filled with beautiful yarn with colors of periwinkle and aubergine, needles and some other knitting ends. I was suprised.

Months ago, I had mentioned developing a new skill, maybe knitting. However, I had no idea that I would be faced with the prospect so soon.

My husband was so proud. My daughter stood behind him, charading a big happy face, signifying that I was to act very thankful for this kind gesture. "You and Kat have a lesson tomorrow!" he proclaimed.

(Isn't there some Dear Abby column advising not to give someone a new hobby or pet as a gift? Just wondering......)

So, bag in hand, my daughter and I walked from the little cabin where we were staying to the Black Mountain Yarn Shop. The great adventure had begun. Well, not like The Fellowship of the Ring or anything, but still.

Two of the nicest women I have ever met, seriously, greeted us at the door. We were ushered into a beautiful shop, filled with color and calm and something that smelled of hope, expectation. Sitting down in the comfortable sectional, Kat and I were taught how to knit. Well, first how to cast off, then knit. Then purl. If you knit, you know the talk. If not, bear with me.

We started on a scarf. I found myself a little stressed out trying to do this thing perfectly. Sure, because you should be able to learn something and do it just right, right away. Not so much. My stomach was clenched and I must have had my face completely scrunched because these women, precious women, who were teaching me, kept reassuring me that this was supposed to be relaxing. My stitches were too tight, I needed to sit back and breathe. They had obviously not met me before.

My daughter, on the other hand, took to this like she did to junk food. Very well. She started three projects while we were there and finished one of them, the hat, in a day. Yeah, it was tough. My little scarf project had to be entirely ripped out after one day because I had maimed it so badly.

But, happy to say, I recovered. The second go round was easier. Kat and I found ourselves at the yarn shop every day for the rest of our vacation. Of course, being women, we chatted with everyone there. Women, and men, we didn't even know were anxious to show off their scarves and throws, baby blankets and tatting.

Then Kat and I realized something important: the couple that owned this store were Christians. This was their ministry. They prayed for their customers, listened to them, loved on them, made them feel special and inspired. And, no kidding, I have never been around more patient teachers in my life than Donna and Kimberly.

And now that I know knitting a little, I realize that our hearts were being knitted together in that place, not just because we were sharing a hobby, but because we shared the Lord. We are sisters in Christ. And somehow, our hearts just knew that.

Now that I'm home, I'm trying to remember all of those lessons I learned. Don't take myself too seriously. Relax and breathe. And love people with enough patience that even when they mess up, they want to keep trying.

And take one stitch at a time.

[If you are intrigued, go to www.blackmountainyarnshop.com/]

1 comment:

  1. When you said Black Mountain, I was like, "Oh wow....that is so cool." My best high school friend, Babbie Owsley, and her family owned a cabin in Black Mountain and we spent some time up there when we were first married. Beautiful area. Not to mention that Billy Graham and his family live in Black Mountain!!

    The knitting sounds amazing....what a gift your hubby and daughter gave you. Keep it up --

    ReplyDelete