I have sat for the last hour watching the news.
Like most Americans, I try to stay up on what is going on in the country and around the world so that I can pray, think and vote.
It's interesting.
There have been several, and I mean that as "more than three," instances where a person was being held accountable for their actions. Every time, the person blamed someone else. Or circumstances. Or whatever.
Wow.
I wonder what the issue is with accepting responsibility. I mean, just say, "my bad" and get on with it. Does it matter what is at stake? Does it matter if there are repercussions, punishment? Would they lose their jobs and are they the person that should be answering if others are involved?
This sounds too familiar. Like Adam. Like, "the woman YOU gave me." Like Eve as well, "the serpent tempted me." If you did it, own it. One of our family rules. There is no blame. Your decision, even if influenced, is still your decision.
Of course, I am also deeply convicted. The reason I recognize the desire for, "...but, but" is because I want to be off the hook at least a little. The way I was raised, the limits of my creative brain for organization, my personality all gang up against me and I just cannot live right! Paul and I agree, I do all that stuff I don't want to do! However, as I feel the weight of the rock in my hand poised to throw, I have to acknowledge that I am not without sin. Blame is very convenient. Blame gives my conscience some relief, short-lived as it is. Blame makes me feel better.
But blame is lame. You cannot repent of blame. You can repent of sin. Sin can be forgiven. I am so thankful for the gospel, that Jesus paid the price. As the Law holds me accountable, God's Grace flows down and covers me.
And the truth sets me free.
No comments:
Post a Comment