Sunday, November 20, 2011

Birthday Blessings

On the eve of my forty-fourth birthday, I would like to share the best birthday blessing I have received to date:
Eucharist!
Eucharist means thanksgiving, and thanksgiving has changed my life.
Alexander Schmemann writes: "Eucharist (thanksgiving) is the state of perfect man. Eucharist is the life of paradise. Eucharist is the only full and real response of man to God's creation, redemption and gift of heaven." (For the Life of the World, page 37-38)
After two years of intense anxiety, I am now experiencing peace. Why? Thanksgiving.
After multiple spiritual attacks against every member of our family, we have persevered. Why? Thanksgiving.
My relationships have been restored with God, family and friends because of Thanksgiving.
Instead of asking why, I say, "Thank You, Lord."
For all of those blessings in my life, my precious husband, loving son , amazing daughter, wonderful church, beautiful home, I say "Thank You, Lord."
For all of my frustrating circumstances, my own limitations, lack of resources, I say, "Thank You, Lord."
If all things are from His Hand, He means it all for His glory and my good, so I receive and say, "Thank You, Lord."
This one act, this one response has so changed my perspective. It is easy to complain when I do not get my way. It is easy to doubt. It is easy to give in to unbelief. The victory comes with thanks, thanks in ALL things!
They say with age comes wisdom. If this is true, this is one piece of wisdom I want to share!
Eucharist!
Thank You, Lord!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I have never heard this before. Thanks for sharing! This is huge. Have a wonderfully blessed birthday, my dear friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kim, God Bless You - I remember "Lies we tell ourselves" from your class, and I thank God for this marvelous reminder of Eucharist! - I am reminded of you all so very often, and I thank God for you all. Eucharist! Be Especially Blessed this Day and this Season. Keep reflecting! Lots of Love in Christ, Gracie

    ReplyDelete