Monday, November 21, 2011

Unwelcome Discoveries

I really did have a great birthday.
No kidding. It was wonderful. If only I could have let it be what it was instead of trying to make it the Norman Rockwell painting I thought I deserved.
I am a control freak.
No, it's true. I mean, normally I think that I am a laid back person. Relational more than task-oriented. Being more than doing. However, that's a normal day.
Today was different. Today was supposed to be MY day.
Entitlement stinks.
I could have planned it differently, been more intentional, all that but I am neither a planner, nor am I all that intentional on a regular basis. Things came up. Errands needed running. Clothes needed washing. What I thought would be a day of relaxed meditation turned into a busy running around day.
What was that thing about interruptions not being inconveniences but opportunities for growth? Yeah, I don't like that quote. I tend to see interruptions as inconveniences, as in "not now, I'm busy having my birthday!"
I really did have a great birthday. But it would have been better if I had taken the day as it came, being THANKFUL (there it is again!) of all the many gifts of God, including interruptions and errands and running around. Because all is grace.
All is grace. As a willing recipient, I am in wonder and awe. As an entitled child, I am asking, "why and what else do I get and why aren't you making this easier for me?"
All is grace and I still need to be open to thanksgiving and utter dependence and humility.
I am still a work in progress.
I need to remember: all is grace.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Yeah, entitlement stinks. Perspective is EVERYTHING! God give me the correct one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had those very same thoughts on special days like birthdays, anniversaries, and more. You're not the only one! But you're doing such an excellent job at what God has called you to do --- we won't be perfect until the day He comes for us!! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kim - God Bless Your Authenticity! We all go where you go in our thoughts - but may it never be as much now as before! You are a GRACE GAL - A FUN ONE, and YOU ARE LOVED - God Bless You Today with almost all of those memories of yesterday! Lots of Love in Christ, Gracie

    ReplyDelete